It’s been a long time since I’ve baked something by myself she gazed at the sky and thought to herself. Visions of perfectly topped cupcakes and thoughtfully sized cookies danced in her head and she mulled over the thought of a less chaotic kitchen, instead. The baby was asleep. The older kids were at school. It won’t take long she thought and smoothed back her hair; her hands were even washed at the sink with care. She pulled out the ingredients, lined them up neatly, she didn’t even have to break the egg discreetly.
Everything was poured in perfect piles, no sugar trailing on for miles. No one fought over the beater, no one asked to lick the bowl. No one called anyone a cheater after stealing just one chocolate chip more. It was quiet and it was clean. She wasn’t used to having her countertop not be a disaster scene. When the cookies were ready the clock gave a shout and she jumped from her seat singing “Kids! Let’s check them out!” But it was then she remembered she chose to bake alone and all of a sudden her kitchen didn’t feel like her home. No one was there to witness the best part and she took the cookies out of the oven with a heavy heart.
3 O’clock came and she ran to the car, anxious to scoop up the kiddos thank goodness they weren’t far. “Let’s bake!” she announced and without even one “but”, they ran into the house and apron’ed up. “Me first!” voices rang out “Can I grease the pan?” “Mommy how many ounces does it take?” “Can I lick inside the can?” “I’ll do the first egg!” “I’ll mix it all up!” “Mommy does it all go here in this cup?” Yes this feels better she whispered to herself as she put back the mistakenly grabbed pepper back on the shelf. And as the flour spun out of control and the eggshells mixed into the pan she didn’t even care when the cookies came out bland. She watched as they licked the bowl, she wiped up the spill, she kissed those little foreheads, and wished time would stand still…
**Holiday Cookies Made With Hood EggNog**
- 1 1⁄4cup white sugar
- 3⁄4cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2cup Hood eggnog
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1⁄4cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C), explain why the oven is not a toy.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg, if you dare.
- Cream sugar and butter until light. (Don’t worry there’s plenty of blending again in a bit.)
- Add eggnog, vanilla, and egg yolks; divvy up the jobs as you see fit.
- Beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth. God speed.
- Add flour mixture and beat again at low speed until just combined.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls (or small handfuls) onto ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart.
- Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Or in our case, sprinkles.
- Bake 20 to 23 minutes until bottoms turn light brown. Watch frowns turn upside down.
I do wish I could show you our final product…but we were too busy eating it. Thank you, internet:
This post was sponsored by Hood.